If you’re planning a honeymoon, one of the nicest cities in Canada to visit is Montreal, but you don’t have to be newly married to take advantage of the romantic sites and locations along the St. Lawrence River. Revive your marriage by spending the weekend or a few days somewhere new. Here are eight of the best sites to rekindle your love.
Romantic Sites on Montréal
- Montréal Botanical Garden: Even if you aren’t a horticulturist, you will enjoy the beauty of the 20 thematic gardens, greenhouses and pavilion. Guided tours are available, or else just walk through the more than 75 hectares holding hands and talking about your dreams and aspirations. Don’t forget to turn off your phone and focus on your partner.
- The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts: Since 1860, the museum has been showcasing fine art and sculptures. You can stroll through a sculpture garden, enjoy stained glass windows or classical artwork in one of the beautifully designed pavilions. The museum offers permanent collections of Canadian artists and typically has special exhibitions on tour.
- Biodome: Experience a rainforest or the sub-polar regions in the Biodome all within walking distance. It has more than 4,500 animals and 500 plant species all under one roof.
- Notre-Dame Basilica: Although the Basilica has religious roots, it draws in many visitors each year who want to explore the architecture and beauty of the parish. You’ll get a 20-minute guided tour as part of your admission and have the opportunity to see one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in North America.
- Parc-Jean Drapeau: The parc offers the perfect opportunity for the adventurist. Depending on the season when you visit, you could enjoy the beach, museums, swimming, roller coasters and more. Check out their calendar for special concerts and events.
- Marché Bonsecours: A historical building with its own heritage, the Marche now houses boutiques and restaurants that feature Quebec artisans. It’s a must-stop on any trip to Montreal at least once to enjoy the local flavor and take home a piece of the area.
- Old Port of Montreal: The port offers a number of activities and attractions, such as the Montreal Clock Tower, the Science Center, access to the riverfront and many cultural events throughout the year. Rent a bicycle, Segway or roller blades to explore the 2-kilometer area filled with shopping and restaurants. You could easily spend your entire vacation enjoying the port and its activities.
- World Trade Centre Montreal: Located close to downtown, the Trade Center is a hotel and office building with indoor parking, restaurants and boutiques. Take a historic discovery tour or enjoy one of the special events that goes on throughout the year.
These eight locations are just a few of the many attractions in Montreal where you and your partner can get away from your normal life to reconnect. Take a walking tour of the city of just drive around and see the spectacular architecture, some of which dates back to the 16th century. The city has been designated a UNESCO City of Design, one of just three in the world. Explore the underground complexes for a different shopping experience. There are a number of beautiful churches, not only the Notre-Dame Basilica.
Montreal is home to many local restaurants where you can enjoy exotic food from other countries or experience the local flavors of Canada. It has a wealth of accommodations, from five-star hotels with all the amenities to small, intimate bed and breakfast inns. You won’t need a passport to travel to this historic and modern city that has been named Canada’s Cultural Capital by Monocle magazine. It truly could enhance your romantic life.